You can find the teaching resources created for our authors’ books here, including a water use quiz based around The Memory of Water and a discussion guide on science and politics in The Stone Weta.
Are you an educator or librarian? We’d love to hear how you teach your students about climate change, to help guide our work in the future. You can fill out a survey here.
Here are some online podcasts, newsletters and non-fiction books which we love.
Teaching Resources for Educators
Good Energy Stories – a guidebook to climate screenwriting
Green Light by The Guardian newsletter
Probable Futures – explore maps of heat, precipitation, drought, and wildfire at a local scale, and at different levels of global warming
How the Tech Community is Combating Climate Change + Free Environmentally Friendly Resources and GitHub Projects
- Sustainable-Earth: Explore a curated list of all things sustainable. This list is divided into categories such as books, companies, apps, and movies.
- Awesome-earth: Wondering what you can do about climate change? Here is a list of 326 things you can do.
- Awesome-clean-tech: Browse a community-curated list of clean-tech companies to follow.
- Treecounter-app: This app allows you to plant trees with over 100 reforestation projects around the world.
- ClimateChangeProjections: This embeddable map shows climate change projections around the world.
- Machine-Learning-for-Solar-Energy-Prediction: Determine the energy production of solar farms based on weather measurements.
- Solcore5: Learn how to model solar cells and semiconductor materials using a multi-scale Python library.
- solar-panel-detection: By combining artificial intelligence (AI) with open data and short-term forecasting, this project identifies solar energy production.
- OpenOA: OpenOA provides a framework for interacting with large time-series data sets from wind farms, such as SCADA data.
- pyCity: This Python tool can be used to generate city energy systems and city districts scenarios.
- TopFarm2: This library is designed by DTU Wind Energy to allow wind-farm optimization using Python.
- BasicDTUController: This project aims at providing the wind energy community with a free, open-source wind energy controller.
- AirfoilPreppy: Using Python, analyze data on aerodynamic airfoils, especially focusing on windmills.
- GreenGuard: Explore an integrated set of solutions to machine learning problems commonly encountered in monitoring wind power plants.
- StorageVET: This analysis tool can evaluate energy storage technologies, as well as other energy sources paired with storage.
- NYCBuildingEnergyUse: Calculate the amount of greenhouse gases an individual building emits based on its age, water use, and energy use.
- eplusr: Make use of a powerful toolkit in R to directly explore the whole building energy simulation program EnergyPlus.
- EVNotify: Monitor the charge level of your electric vehicle and receive alerts when preset levels are reached.
- emobpy: Use this Python tool to create profiles for battery-powered electric vehicles.
- Antares Simulator: This open-source tool can help analyze the adequacy of interconnected energy systems over short or long periods of time.
Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming by Paul Hawken
After Geoengineering: Climate Tragedy, Repair, and Restoration by Holly Jean Buck
All We Can Save: Truth, Courage, and Solutions for the Climate Crisis by Ayana Elizabeth Johnson
How to Talk About Climate Change in a Way That Makes a Difference by Rebecca Huntley
Hope in Hell: A decade to confront the climate emergency by Jonathon Porritt
How Are We Going to Explain This?: Our Future on a Hot Earth by Jelmer Mommers
Given Half a Chance: Ten Ways to Save the World by Edward Davey
The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac
There Is No Planet B: A Handbook for the Make or Break Years
by Mike Berners-Lee
The Planet Remade: How Geoengineering Could Change the World by Oliver Morton
What We Need to Do Now: For a Zero Carbon Future by Chris Goodall
This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate by Naomi Klein
The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming by David Wallace-Wells
This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
A Better Planet: Forty Big Ideas for a Sustainable Future by Daniel C. Esty
The ESA Climate Change Initiative